0709翻譯:我的信念(瑪麗·居里)

0709翻譯:我的信念(瑪麗·居里)

0709翻譯:我的信念(瑪麗·居里)

Translation: My Beliefs (Marie Curie)

(translated by: alexcwlin; edited by: Adam Lam)

生活對於任何人都非易事,我們必須有堅韌不拔的精神。

To anyone, life is far from a walk in the park and we need to confront life with tenacious fortitude.

最要緊的,還是我們自己要有信心。

Most importantly, we need to have self-confidence.

我們必須相信,我們對每一件事情都有天賦的才能,

We must believe that we have God-given ability for everything.

並且,無論付出任何代價,都要把這件事情完成。

As well, we must get things done at all costs.

當事情結束的時候,你要能問心無愧地說:「我已經盡我所能了。」

When a certain thing is brought to a close, we must be able to say, with a clear conscience: 「I have tried my very best.」

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

有一年的春天裡,我因病被迫在家裡休息數周。

During spring of one year, I was holed up at home for several weeks in resting from sickness.

我注視著我的女兒們所養的蠶結著繭子,

I gazed at the silkworms which were raised by my daughter as they were spinning cocoons.

這使我感興趣。

That got me interested.

望著這些蠶執著地、勤奮地工作著,我感到我和它們非常相似。

In watching those worms doggedly and diligently working away, I felt they and I were very much alike.

像它們一樣,我總是耐心地集中在一個目標上,

Just like them, I always focused on one target patiently.

我之所以如此,或許是因為某種力量在鞭策著我——正如蠶被鞭策著去結繭子一般。

The reason why I was behaving like that perhaps was because I was spurred on by a certain force—in the same way that those silkworms were driven to spin cocoons.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

近五十年來,我致力於科學的研究,

In the recent fifty years, I have been dedicated to scientific research.

而研究是對真理的探討。

Research is probing into the truth.

我有許多美好快樂的記憶。

I have many wonderful memories.

少女時期,我在巴黎大學,孤獨地過著求學的歲月。

In my youthful days as a teenage girl, I spent many lonesome hours studying in Paris University.

在那整個時期中,我丈夫和我專心致志地,像在夢幻之中一般,艱辛地坐在簡陋的書房裡研究,

In that entire period, my husband and I, as if we were in a dream, devoted ourselves wholeheartedly in research by sitting inside a crude study-den and undergoing much hardship.

後來,我們就在那兒發現了鐳。

Subsequently that place was where we found radium.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

我在生活中,永遠是追求安靜的工作和簡單的家庭生活。

In my life, I always pursue a peaceful job and a simple family life.

為了實現這個理想,我竭力保持寧靜的環境,以免受人事的干擾和盛名的渲染。

To fulfill this ideal, I strive to maintain a serene environment to avoid disruptions in dealing with people matters and unwanted fame.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

我深信在科學方面我們有對事業而不是對財富的興趣。

I firmly believe what interests us in science is not the money but the career.

當皮埃爾居里和我考慮應否在我們的發現上取得經濟利益時,我們都認為不能違反我們的純粹研究觀念。

When Pierre Curie and I were considering if we should derive economic benefits from our discovery, both of us were of the view that we could not betray our conception that everything was purely for research.

因而我們沒有申請鐳的專利,也就拋棄了一筆財富。

Therefore we did not apply for patent on radium and gave up on a fortune.

我堅信我們是對的。

But we unwaveringly believe what we have done is right.

誠然,人類需要尋求現實的人,他們在工作中獲得很大的報酬。

Indeed mankind needs people who are practical and get well-rewarded for what they do at work.

但是,人類也需要夢想家——他們受了事業的強烈的吸引,使他們沒有閑暇,也無熱情去謀求物質上的利益。

But then mankind also needs dreamers who are strongly motivated by their careers so that they do not have any leisure time or enthusiasm to pursue material benefits.

我的唯一奢望,是在一個自由國家中以一個自由學者的身份從事研究工作。

My only high hope is to engage in research work as a liberal scholar in a free country.

我從沒有視這種利益為理所當然的,

I never take these benefits for granted.

因為我在24歲以前,我一直居住在被佔領和蹂躪的波蘭。

It is because before my 24-year-old birthday, my place of residence was the occupied and ravaged Poland.

我估量過法國自由的代價。

I have weighed the value of freedom in France.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

我並非生來就是一個性情溫和的人,

I was not a mild-mannered person from birth.

我很早就知道,許多像我一樣敏感的人,甚至受一言半語的呵責,便會過分懊惱,

For a long time I come to know many sensitive people like me would get overly upset at the slightest reprimand.

因而我盡量剋制自己的敏感。

Therefore I try my utmost to curb my sensitivity.

從我丈夫的溫和沉靜的性格中,我受益匪淺。

My husband』s meek and tranquil disposition had a positive influence on me.

當他猝然長逝後,我便學會了逆來順受。

After he passed away, I learned to take adversities in stride.

我年紀漸老,我愈會欣賞生活中的種種瑣事,如栽花、植樹、建築,對詩歌朗誦和眺望星辰也有一點興趣。

When I get older, I get to appreciate the little things in life such as flower-growing, tree-planting, architecture-sightseeing, poetry-reciting, and star-watching.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

我一直沉醉於世界的優美之中,

All along I have been mesmerized by all sorts of daintiness in this world.

我所熱愛的科學也不斷增加它嶄新的遠景。

Increasingly brand new prospects have been added to my beloved science research.

我認定科學本身就具有偉大的美。

I maintain there are fantastic beauties in science itself.

一位從事研究工作的科學家,不僅是一個技術人員,而且是一個小孩兒,在大自然的景色中,好像迷醉於神話故事一般。

A scientist who is engaged in scientific research is not only a technician, but also a little child who seemingly is entranced in a fairy tale when she is in nature』s sceneries.

這種科學的魅力,就是使我終生能夠在實驗室里埋頭工作的主要原因。

This type of charm in science is the main reason why I can be completely absorbed in my work inside laboratory all my life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

附註:

(1) 在互聯網找不到英文原著,所以這裡是我從中文版本翻譯過來。


推薦閱讀:

案例-1 | 基於單機版 memoQ 軟體的協作翻譯流程
SH26翻譯: 宇宙的邊疆 (卡爾·薩根)
飛鳥集精選 - 048
【第五頁】抱枕突然更新的翻譯日常
0835翻譯:喂出來!(星新一)

TAG:翻譯 | 英語翻譯 |